Wednesday 6 November 2013

Athletic suffer a Swan attack!

Stapenhill FC 3 (Wheildon 6', Sippits 23', Chatfield 86')

Blaby and Whetstone Athletic FC 0

East Midlands Counties League, Saturday 2nd November 2013

Attendance - 60 (Rough head count)

I was in two minds whether to go or not, mainly due to the weather with the forecasts showing heavy rain and cool temperatures but also not knowing if the pitch would be able to hold out or if there was much cover at the ground for me to shelter under. The morning came and I was trying fanatically to find out if it followed several other games within the local area and be postponed but I heard nothing, however when leaving the house it suddenly went bright in the sky, a lucky sign for Stapenhill perhaps?

On arrival at the ground it became very windy outside so I quickly found refuge in the clubhouse, which I thought was amazing! It was brand new, modern and most importantly warm. After purchasing a club badge over the bar I looked around and wondered why I never visited before. I learnt that the club enjoyed successful spells in the Leicestershire Senior League and Midland Combination before becoming founding members of the Midland Alliance until resigning in 2002. In the 2007-08 season, they were one again in the Midland Alliance but the club had to tragically close down as a fire ravaged their stadium. Since reforming in 2009 in the Leicestershire Senior League they gained promotion last season despite finishing 5th! With the club growing again maybe now was the perfect time for my first game here.

I walked into the ground, paid my admission, took my first look at the programme and proceeded to have a wonder around. First thoughts were that it was quite nice for a club at step 6 of the non league pyramid. A covered area behind one goal hosted a fair number of spectators but many (including myself) headed straight for the padded seating which ran along one side. I was happily surprised by the number of seats and they proved popular, you can see why the club is one which has the potential to be in the Midland Alliance.

The programme was short but sweet with good notes and information, including those of new manager Steve Titterton who was always liked by me during the time he spent at Gresley. The wind picked up and you were still able to feel the force even under cover! I took a number of pictures (look at the bottom) and it seemed that all supporters were in good spirits.

The game started and Blaby used the wind to their advantage straight away with a long ball played to the striker who saw his shot well saved in the first minute of the game. A couple of minutes later they were at it again when a corner drifted directly onto the crossbar but out of play. The deadlock was broken after just 6 minutes when a long ball was flicked on by the head of Stapenhills tall, powerful forward over the top of the defender for Phil Weildon for a one on one where he calmly touched the ball into the bottom right hand corner for 1-0 Stapenhill.

On 23 minutes, the score became 2-0 when a good spell of pressure from the hosts resulted in Asa Sippits driving a low shot to the keepers near post, only for the goalkeeper to make what must be described as an unfortunate mistake and somehow when diving onto the ball, it rolled under him. The goal scorer appeared to stand and wait to see if he had actually scored!

Both teams troubled but at 2-0 you felt the game was killed off, Blaby created good chances but either couldn't find the right finish or saw it saved by the goalkeeper. Stapenhill came closest to the next goal when a brilliant passing move saw a cross met by the header of the tall striker who troubled throughout the game, only for it to be excellently saved by the Blaby keeper.

At Half Time it remained Stapenhill FC 2 - 0 Blaby and Whetstone Athletic FC

The second half was much of the same as both teams had good spells of pressure although no one could find a goal, with Blaby having the better of the chances. Both keepers made great saves and it was actually becoming quite tense, a goal could throw the game open or seal it. One supporter said "2-0 is a hard lead" and I agree, you score and surely 3 points, you concede and the advantage may have gone and you could go on and draw.

The inevitable happened in the 86th minute though. A counter attack by Stapenhill saw a shot going into the right hand corner of the net if not for it being well saved by the Blaby keeper, although it was parried straight out to Danny Chatfield who tapped the ball into the net for 3-0 to the Swans.
 
This is how the game finished and what a good game it was, after clapping he players off I popped into the warm and cosy clubhouse again where the £1 for all hot drinks proved very popular! It was good to see so many fans and players using this great facility and you could see the smile on Steve Titterton’s face when he came in. An overall good game of football.
 
Admission and Programme - £3 (£4 for adult admission)
Badge - £2 (very nice)
 
Entertainment – 4/5 (Can't ask for too much else)
Price – 4/5 (very good for the quality of football on display)
Facilities – 4.5/5 (lovely clubhouse! Seats are in abundance and comfortable)
Programme – 3/5 (Short but still has got a nice set of notes from key figures and useful information about events and the visitors) 
 
 
I would fully recommend this club to everyone and I look forward to my next visit to Stapenhill.
 
 
I'd also like to thank everyone for your continued support and I love receiving tweets telling me what you think, within 1 week I now have well over 1,000 views on my profile even though I've only published 1 blog within that time. I’m always on the lookout for different grounds to visit so tweet me (@chris_sharp18 ) saying where you’d like me to go next!
 
(Pictures below are all taken by me)








 

No comments:

Post a Comment